Our 5 Best Winter Skincare Tips.Winter can wreak havoc on skin. The combination of below freezing temperatures and dry indoor heat, can lead to parched, chapped, flaky irritated and red skin. Fortunately, there are simple solutions that can counteract the effects of winter, leaving you with soft, beautiful skin once again. From applying a topical CBD cream to changing your skincare routine, here are 5 simple steps to get your skin back on track.
1. Swap Your Cleanser: Most people don’t realize that you need to reach for distinctly different cleansers in winter vs. summer. The cleanser which took care of your face and body beautifully in the warmer months, may actually irritate or dry out your skin when the temperature drops. Swapping your cleanser to a hydrating formula can be the first step to soothing your complexion. For sensitive skin, try cream-based cleansers that gently remove impurities. Oily skin will find relief in oil-based cleansers (oil dissolves oil). Look for moisture-boosting ingredients like hyaluronic acid and Shea Butter. Whatever you do, avoid bar soaps that can strip the skin of its natural oils.
2. Exfoliate: The combination of icy cold air and more time spent indoors can lead to rough, flaky skin. However, in order for any moisturizer or oil to come to the rescue, you have to first exfoliate the dead skin buildup. For your face and neck, choose a resurfacing mask that contains gentle skin-sloughing ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids, including glycolic, salicylic, and lactic acid (an especially good choice for sensitive skin).
3. Try Topical CBD: A good moisturizer is crucial for healing damaged skin, and a key ingredient to look for is CBD. “One of the best reasons to reach for CBD this winter is the compound’s powerful effect. It counters the skin’s response to cold and dry conditions,” explains Dr. Andrew Kerklaan Founder of Dr. Kerklaan Therapeutics. He developed his Natural CBD Skin Cream to be a soothing and potent solution for irritated skin. With a high water content for added moisture, a hypoallergenic formula, and full-spectrum CBD, the innovative product is the perfect winter skincare staple.
4. Moisturize Immediately After Your Shower: When you put on your moisturizer is just as important as what kind. By applying moisturizer to damp skin immediately after cleansing or showering, you will increase the hydrating power of your product. Applying to damp, clean skin will boost moisture levels resulting in more radiant and softer skin.
5. Use a Humidifier: Dry winter heat indoors can cause cracked, peeling skin, and flare-ups of eczema and psoriasis in some people. A humidifier adds moisture directly into the air and the additional water vapor can then be absorbed by the outermost layer of skin. The result is plumped up, softer, smoother skin.
For more science-based solutions and game-changing products, check out Dr. Kerklaan’s Skin Cream here.